Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Did I Not Shave my Legs For This?

At six months pregnant, it is offical. I am showing. I look pregnant. I have a big 'ol belly on me that is noticable to strangers.  And strangers like to comment, and say completely inappropriate things.

I will say that I have been fortunate enough that I have NOT had my belly touched by a complete stranger... yet. And I say yet, because it is bound to happen... It is just a matter of time.

But for the record, the comment that I receive the most often, and have come to find the most annoying is as follows: "Wow, It's going to be a HOT summer!". Why thank you stranger. I appreciate you letting me know how hot it is going to be this summer. I never would imagine that a Texas Summer would be hot. I guess I can pack away my parka now that you have informed me of this!

Seriously, people... I have lived in Texas my entire life. I am well aware that EVERY summer is hot. And now that I'm in Houston we can add Humid along with that. I am also aware that when carrying around an extra 20 pounds, I am bound to be more uncomfortable. I do not need you to enlighten me of this fact.

It does make me envy those that give birth in the Spring though (cough cough... Hannah... cough cough)! And let me tell you why!

1. People never tell you "Oh you're having a baby in March... the weather is going to be JUST LOVELY"...

2. Everyone you go out to eat with is 'on a diet' because they are trying to 'look good in their swimsuit'. It makes my order of an entree, extra side, soup, a salad plus dessert look like overkill... Seriously people, just go swimming with me... you'll look awesome compared to big belly mama!

3. Shopping for a maternity swimsuit is HELL! And that is not even an exaggeration. You think regular swimsuit shopping is a nightmare? Maternity swimsuit shopping made me MISS the days of shopping for a regular bikini! I thought I was off the hook when I caught a sale from Old Navy that included maternity swimsuits. I ordered one, and then they proceeded to ship the wrong size.  Of course, since they were having a sale, by the time it got to me (10 days - Seriously Old Navy?!? That's ridiculous) they were completely sold out of the size I needed. Which meant off to the store I go to shop for a maternity swim suit.  Now for those of you who don't know... When you are pregnant your boobs get BIGGER. Sometimes, A LOT bigger. Well apparently  no one has notified the manufacturer of maternity swimsuits of said fact. I tried on dozens and dozens of swim suits, and NONE of them had any sort of support on top. I FINALLY found one that offered the most support, and even though the design was straight out of 1984 I was eager to get in the cool water, so I settled for an ugly design... as to not have my girls flopping all over the place. Usually those that give birth in spring can still fit into their regular swimsuit when they get pregnant, and are back down close to pre-pregnancy size by the time summer rolls around again...

4. Shorts... Okay, for anyone that has hung out with me in the last 5 years... There is a likely chance they could count the number of times I have worn shorts (in public) on one hand. I hate shorts. I do not wear them. I buy about one pair a year, and only wear them in despiration. I rejoiced the day that capri pants were invented, or came into style, or whatever... Well, as previously mentioned, this summer is super hot, as I'm lugging around an extra 20 pounds... so I had to go shorts shopping... another nuisance, though not as bad as #3. This one probably is just for me... but I envy those women that get to wear maternity pants and jeans their whole pregnancy, and don't have to add maternity shorts to the wardrobe...

5. However, with both shorts and bathing suits, come the fact that YOU HAVE TO SHAVE YOUR LEGS!!! Women who have babies in February don't have to worry about trying to shave at 6 months pregnant... the only people who are going to see YOUR legs are your OB, who you are PAYING MONEY to see and who are usually a little preoccupied somewhere else to worry about if your legs are shaved... and your husband, who got you into this mess, so obviously he likes you and will just have to deal with those unkempt legs! Oh to be so lucky! I mean, the further into pregnancy I get, the more creative I have to become with just HOW I am going to shave my legs... the old days of just prop the leg up on the shower wall are long gone, as my balance and my tummy have made leg propping virtually impossible... sitting in the shower worked for a while, before it started taking me 10 minutes to stand back up... it's gotten awfully tricky, and I'm just happy I haven't ended up butchering my legs too badly... yet!

Anyway, it's a bit of a rant for my first post, but I promise I had another post on my macbook that somehow was mysteriously deleted. I shall try to find it again and see if I can post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment